|Born||October 8, 1992|
|Home||Chance Harbor, Washington|
|Relatives|| Sara Armstrong (mother) †|
Richard Armstrong (father) †
Nick Armstrong (brother) †
Royce Armstrong (grandfather)
|Occupation||Witch Hunter (formerly)|
|Cause of Death||N/A|
|Portrayed by|| Chris Zylka|
Owen Mason (child)
Charming and devilishly handsome, Jake joined a dedicated group of Witch Hunters known as "The True Believers" after leaving Chance Harbor and developed hatred toward witchcraft, swearing to kill all witches in his hometown. He was later known for his feelings towards Cassie and helped her escape from the witch hunters who captured her, only to sail away afterwards. He later returned to protect Cassie, and became an official member of the Circle.
Jake is a member of the Armstrong Family.
Jake was born on October 8, 1992, to Sara and Richard Armstrong, according to the episode Crystal. Almost two years later his little brother, Nick, was born on August 29, 1994. When he was a few years old, he snuck into his parents car unaware they would later be killed that day. He escaped the boat fire that day and started to block the memory of what he saw and what happened. In his teens he worked at the Boathouse Bar and Grill until he stole money, for which Adam holds a grudge against him. He also dated Faye Chamberlain, leaving her heart broken. He left Chance Harbor and joined "The True Believers", a witch hunter club, after discovering he was a witch. He was not close to Nick when he left and later came back only after Nick had been killed by Charles Meade.x
After commiting countless acts of trouble, Jake left Chance Harbor, but later returned to pay his respects for his brother's untimely death. Unbeknownst to Jake, with his presence in Chance Harbor, his bloodline completed the Circle, restoring the power of Adam Conant, Cassie Blake, Diana Meade, Faye Chamberlain, and Melissa Glaser.
After being attacked by a witch hunter named Simone, Jake helped Cassie by casting a spell that made her flee. After stealing blood from Cassie Blake, Jake visited Simone at a motel, where he helped witch hunters in their attempt to rid the town of witches. However, after Simone tried to kill Jake, with the help of Cassie, Jake murdered Simone with a silver dagger.
In Masked, Jake was invited to a Halloween party from Cassie, which he rejected. When he found out Cassie was going to ask Mr. Wilson about the piece of silver dagger she found at the bottom of a small table, he paid a visit to his shop and threatened him. He told him that if Cassie came to his shop to ask about anything to say he didn't know anything or Jake would kill him, this includes telling Cassie about Jake's threat.In Beneath, Jake went to speak with Isaac who reminded Jake why he was trying to get close to Cassie and not let any feelings blind him to his mission. Jake said not to worry; he only wanted to get close to kill Cassie. During the car ride to the lake, Jake and Cassie, however, had more sexual tension, and once the Circle arrived at the house, they were puzzled to find a lack of Henry and Jane. Cassie and Jake lit a fire and shared the warmth together, but Adam was in the shadows, watching the love of his life slip away from him. Faye suggested to play Truth or Dare, which resulted in Diana taking off her top, Faye admitting that she's only slept with two guys, and Jake and Cassie kissing. This sent Faye into a fury and she and Cassie had an argument. Later, Jake and Cassie started to kiss but Jake suddenly interrupted. In the end, Jake talked to Isaac and declared it was time to finally kill off the whole Circle. In Balcoin, Faye spoted Jake at the clubhouse and confronted him about stealing something from the Circle. He claimed that the stone he took belonged to his family and that he was only going to place it on Nick's grave. Cassie told Jake that her father died in the fire that took the lives of so many others, so she didn't know too much about him. She and Jake discovered the Blackwell family tree , which revealed that the Blackwells were once called the Balcoins. Therefore, Jake spoke to Isaac and warned him about Cassie and her powerful Dark Magic, inherited from her father's bloodline - the bloodline of the most powerful Dark witches family. Isaac then declared he needed to talk to the Council to figure out what to do with Cassie. Later, Cassie asked Jake to be her date at the fundraiser, but he refused. Cassie attended the fundraiser anyway, and Jake eventually showed up, admitting their growing feelings for each other. Adam warned the rest of the Circle that Jake was a witch hunter, from what he heard from a conversation with Isaac and the group left to find her. However, Cassie had already left the party with Jake. He tried to explain Cassie about her ancestors, who were purveyors of dark, evil magic and also to convince her to run away from town. Adam texted Cassie and warned her that Jake was a witch hunter and Cassie told Jake that she needed to go home to pack, to run away from him. But Isaac was already waiting for her in her room. After recovering from being knocked-out, Jake convinced Adam and Faye he wanted to help Cassie and they teamed up to find her. While Adam rescued Cassie, Jake struggled to fight with Isaac, telling his mentor he believed Cassie could fight off her Dark Magic, but Isaac wasn't. Furthermore, Isaac admitted Cassie wasn't the only child of Blackwell in the Circle, therefore convincing Jake to stay with them.
In Darkness, Jake appeared in a dream, in which he told Cassie that she could not control her Dark Magic, angering her and making him choke. Later in the episode, Cassie performed a spell to attract him in Chance Harbor.In Fire/Ice, Jake was around Chance Harbor, into hiding, and saved Cassie and Melissa from a fire caused by Faye at the High School. Later, he went to the basement of the Abandoned House, interrupting Cassie and Adam kissing.
In Witness, Jake returned to town and warned Cassie and Adam that the witch hunter council had decided to come and kill Cassie. Jake revealed that when he was 4 years old, he had hidden in the car and went out to find his parents and saw what happened at the Boatyard. He offered Cassie to go into his memory to see what happened there. Adam refused to let Cassie risk her life to do something for Jake, but she did it anyway. In Jake's memory, he and Cassie saw his parents and wanted to follow them to see if they could lead them to the other parents. But when they were getting closer, Jake's head started to ache, and Cassie told him to stay where he was, and she followed them on her own depsite Jake's disapproval. The memory started to blur and Jake came back to reality, trying to get Cassie back but he failed. Adam hurried to Cassie's side and angrily asked Jake what he did to Cassie. They later worked together to bring them back into the memory and save Cassie. Later on, Cassie went back to the boatyard to pick up the Medallion she had seen her father dropping, where Jake caught her up and talked to her about how he shouldn't have blocked his memory. In the night, Cassie wanted to see if her father was still alive, so she asked him to help digging his grave, but what they discovered was animal's bones, meaning John Blackwell was maybe still alive.In Medallion, Cassie met up with Jake at the Abandoned House. Once again, she had the Medallion. Jake suggested that since the symbol on the Medallion matched the one in the ceiling downstairs, they should go there. Cassie tried to align the Medallion with the symbol, and when she did, she became stuck in a trance while the energy around caused a weak earthquake. Cassie told Jake to run but Jake ran back and tackled her, therefore interrupting the magical connection. Later on, after Adam awoke doubts about Jake, Cassie asked him if he’d ever killed a witch, but didn't answer, proving Adam was right. In the end, Faye met up with Jake and the two hooked up. In Valentine, Issac turns up to talk to Jake and says that Jake needs to find the medallion so that Issac can trade it for Cassie's and Jake's freedom. Jake then sets out to find Cassie, along the way he finds out that Cassie was being haunted by the Nidaros Coven, he teams with Adam so he can find Cassie. They set out to an abandoned church, where Cassie was trapped by the Coven. After Cassie broke the medallion to save Adam's life, he gave a broken piece to Issac. In Return, he made a deal with Eben after Witch Hunters captured Cassie. He offered Blackwell instead of Cassie but when he brought Blackwell to Eben, the latter changed his mind and let both Blackwell and Cassie go, having Jake taken as hostage instead. However, it was a trick since Cassie was spelled with Linden, being forced to kill her father. In the last moments, the Circle freed Jake and pushed magically Eben onto a tree, being impaled by a branch, yet not killing him, and went to save Cassie and John.
In Curse, John Blackwell had spelled him so that he would feel ill and the fake curse that he told Cassie and Adam about would seem real. Jake began seeing Calvin Wilson's ghost. After Adam and Cassie drank the potion, John Blackwell spelled him again so he would start feeling better.
In Sacrifice, a man named Samuel is being chased through the woods by Eben and the other witch hunters. When he enters into Chance Harbor, Eben lets him go. Samuel goes straight to Jake's house and Jake attacks him. Cassie sees somebody in the Armstrong house fighting with Jake from her room and runs over. Samuel and Jake are friends - or were, in Jake's witch hunter days.In Crystal, Cassie and Diana arrive at the abandonded house where they meet Jake and Adam. Jake comes and it wasn't that pleasant for Callum, because Jake thought Callum is threatening Melissa. Jake and Melissa then leave to go back to their mission. In the car, Jake asked why did Cassie said that she is already going with him to Adam. She said that it just felt very hard when she with Adam. Jake told Cassie that he thought the Elixir erased their feelings for each other. Royce Armstrong arrives home and sees the three, pushing the table to the corner to stop them from going anywhere. Jake yelled out that he is his grandson, Royce then realized that it is his grandson, Jake. Royce explains that his family crystal is hidden in a mine that is spelled so that no witch with dark magic can enter. Jake calls Melissa and tells her where to find the crystal so she heads there with Adam. Melissa and Adam find the crystal but as they're leaving the mine they run into Callum. He and Adam start fighting and Callum pulls out a gun. Then Diana pulls up and hears the gun shot. That's when Cassie, Faye, and Jake get to the mine. Cassie realizes she can't get in so she waits for them at the door. Diana walks up as Jake and Adam pull Callum out of the mine. They mark him and tell him to leave Chance Harbor and for him to never come back. In Traitor, Faye and Jake tried easing the “pain” of Cassie’s loss with Dawn’s prescription pills, but all they found in the bottle was Faye’s family’s crystal. At the abandoned house, John and the others were looking for the remaining crystals, at which point Faye and Jake showed up with the crystal they had found. When Jake informed them it was dead, John told them it could be recharged with the power of the Circle. Jake thought to reach out to Isaac, who he believed would have turned on Eben. When the Circle went to rendezvous with Isaac in the woods, Ian another witch hunter told them Isaac had been killed by Eben. He also informed them the traitor had run away and is hiding from Eben. In Prom, the circle is discussing Nick being the traitor witch. Melissa is telling the circle thay they need to help Nick. Jake then tells Melissa to move on but she leaves the abandon house. Faye goes to Jake's house to see why he was being a jerk to Melissa. Jake then gets a knife for protection, in case Nick comes back looking for the crystal. Faye decides to invite Jake to prom which he stood her up 2 years ago. Faye then tells Jake she wants to dance with him. The circle finds Nick and try to get the crystal. Nick tells Eben he wants to trade the crystal for the demon. Nick is fighting Jake and just as he was about to kill him Melissa kills Nick. John goes to the circle and tells them that Eben got away and he took Faye. He says that they got the sixth crystal and can make the crystal skull to save Faye.
Jake is a loner very much like Cassie was before coming to Chance Harbor, but also according to Jane Blake "a troubled young man". Jake doesn't care about what anyone thinks of him, more particularly Adam and his girlfriend Faye. The first person he is shown to care about is Cassie, even to the extent of betraying Isaac and the witch hunters. He strangely didn't grieve when his brother Nick died and his lack of emotion surprised Melissa. It's suggested his apathy is due to Jake's belief that "emotion leaves the door open to unwanted emotions such as grief, sadness and possibly love". He hides his real feelings behind his secondary emotions as noted by Faye who knows him the best.
It's shown and mentioned his hatred of witchcraft. Isaac convinced him that witchcraft is what killed his parents, which led him to follow "The True Believers". When Cassie helps him access his blocked memories, Jake discovers that Witch Hunters set the fire at the Boatyard. He now wants nothing more than vengeance against the people he once felt he could trust.
Jake has blue eyes and sandy blonde hair like his mother Sara Armstrong, but also resembles his father in someways most notably putting his hands in his pockets. Jake also has an athletic body.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
"You have been a great asset."
— Isaac to Jake, about the usefulness of his powers.
Because Jake joined the circle after the binding ceremony, he can do circle magic and at the same time retain his individual power. The full extents of Jake's powers are unknown but it is known that he has more knowledge about witchcraft than the rest of his circle because he trained for two years before the other members discovered they were witches. He also has a lot of knowledge on how to fight and kill other witches he learned from the Witch Hunters. He knows how to mark people to track them down.
- Channeling: The act of drawing or summoning other forms of energy, by focusing on the magic of another witch.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling or manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather. Though not proven false or accurate, witches are believed to possess an unique affinity to particular elements which grants them greater mastery and control when performing.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence. Spells are the most common method exerted by witches to focus their magic. Spells can range from simple commands to a series of words.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting magical elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
- Jake is the medieval variant of Jack. It is also sometimes used as a short form of Jacob.
- Jack is derived from Jackin (earlier Jankin), a medieval diminutive of John. It is often regarded as an independent name. During the Middle Ages it was very common and it became a slang word meaning "man".
- It was frequently used in fairy tales and nursery rhymes, such as 'Jack and the Beanstalk', 'Little Jack Horner', and 'Jack Sprat'.
- American writers Jack London (1876-1916) and Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) were two famous bearers of this name.
- Jacob comes from the Latin Iacobus, which was from the Greek lakobos, which was from the Hebrew name Ya'aqov.
- In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter".
- Other theories claim that it is in fact derived from a hypothetical name like Ya'aqov'el meaning "may God protect".
- The English names Jacob and James derive from the same source, with James coming from Latin Iacomus, a later variant of Iacobus. Unlike English, many languages do not have seperate spellings for the two names.
- In England, Jacob was mainly regarded as a Jewish name during the Middle Ages, though the variant James was used among Christians. Jacob came into general use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation.
- A famous bearer was Jacob Grimm (1785-1863), the German linguist and writer who was, with his brother Wilhelm, the author of 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'.
- The slang meaning "excellent, fine" is from 1914, American English, of unknown origin.
- His last name, Armstrong mMeans "strong arm" from the Old English earm and strang. It is said that the armour bearer to a King of Scots acquired this name after he rescued the monarch on a battlefield when the King's horse was killed under him. Because of his strength, he was known as Armstrong. A famous peron who also has this last name was Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon.
He has romantic feelings for Cassie, and was once dating Faye but stood her up at a dance. After he left town. He is brother to Nick, but they were never close. Conflicting feelings about both Faye and Cassie, though as stated previously he never showed much emotion for anyone besides Cassie.
|This gallery shows four pictures, randomly selected, related to the subject of this article.|
A more complete gallery can be found here. Any future additions should be added there as well.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Jake's powers are not bound to the Circle since he was not there when the Circle bound their powers. However, his bloodline is still bound to them, which allows him to use their Circle magic after Nick's passing.
- Jake had already found his family Book of Shadows before the rest of the circle even found out they were witches.
- Jake is a character purely created for the show and who doesn't have any equivalent in the books, unlike Melissa Glaser, who actually is a character inspired and created out of three different characters from the books.
- Jake and his dad share a habit of putting their hands in their jacket's pockets.
- Jake seems as the typical 'bad boy' type who is very hard to read. But along the story, we find out that there is a whole lot more to him.
- Though his character does not exist in the books, he falls in love with Cassie, like Nick Armstrong (his brother) did in the books.
- He and his current girlfriend, Faye Chamberlain, are the only two Circle members to be seen as young children on the show. Jake in Witness and Faye in Beneath.
- Jake is one of the two known remaining members of the Armstrong family.
- His zodiac sign is Libra (Sept 23-Oct 23). Libra's symbol is the scales, its element is air, and its ruling planet is Venus. Libra is most compatible with someone who is either Gemini or Aquarius.
|Antagonists of Season 1|
|Dawn Chamberlain · Charles Meade · Zachary Larson · Heather Barnes · Abaddon · Melissa Glaser · Nick Armstrong · Simone · Isaac · Ian · Luke · Jake Armstrong · Eben · Nidaros Coven · Lucy Gibbons · Callum · Eva · John Blackwell · Samuel|